What Type Of Oil Does Your Car Actually Take?
If you are unfamiliar with the specifics of different types of motor oils how do you know that you’re using the right oil? Choosing the right oil for your INFINITI is detrimental to its performance and longevity. Just because your put one type of oil in your SUV doesn’t mean you?ll put the same kind in your sedan.
When it comes to engines, no two oils are created equal.
Each car and truck engine is designed with a specific type, viscosity, and amount of oil in mind. These specifications ensure that oil will slide through the engine with optimal fluidity and remove heat from the engine at a measured pace.
Further factors that influence the right type of oil for your engine include the age of vehicle, type of vehicle you drive (car, SUV, pick-up, commercial truck), conventional versus performance engine, weather conditions and altitude in which you drive, and commute or workload for your vehicle.
Here’s a cheat sheet on what to look for when choosing your next engine oil:
The Types Of Oil
- Conventional Oil: this is your everyday run-of-the-mill oil with little to no additives, used in bulk by dealerships, service centers, and at home mechanics because of its low cost
- Premium Conventional Oil: a grade above conventional oil, commonly used in newer cars
- Full-synthetic Oil: made for high tech engines and featuring superior and longer lasting performance typically three times the cost of conventional oil and not always necessary for most engines
- Synthetic-blend Oil: premium conventional oil blended with a small amount of synthetic oil, popular with pick-up and SUV drivers because they offer better protection for heavier performance
- High-mileage Oil: developed for vehicles with at least 75,000 miles on the odometer, high mileage oil contains seal conditioners to increase the flexibility of internal engine seals.
Different Oil Additives
- Foam inhibitors: disperse the foam created by certain engine components, for better lubrication
- Detergents: help inhibit the formation of corrosion, rust, and deposits
- Friction modifiers: reduce engine friction for improved mileage
- Anti-wear additives: protect metal surfaces even further after the oil’s lubricating film begins to breakdown
- Viscosity-index improvers: as temperatures increase, these keep the oil from thinning too much
The best way to determine the oil that’s right for your vehicle is to consult the owner’s manual then do a little online research to discover what has worked best for like-minded drivers.
If you’re INFINITI needs an oil change, tire rotation, tire balance or any other car services contact us over at Cerritos INFINITI. Cerritos INFINITI is an INFINITI dealership and service center located in Cerritos California and serving Los Angeles and Orange County.